Little Lagoon Preservation Society News
LLPS Quarterly Membership Meeting, Thursday, July 19th
LLPS Quarterly Membership Meeting
Thursday, July 19, 2011
Guest Speaker: Christie Watford-Shannon, COGS Museum Administrator
"History of Little Lagoon Community in Gulf Shores, Alabama"
Little Lagoon Preservation Society (LLPS) invites members and the general public to attend a quarterly membership meeting Thursday, July 19, 5:30 PM, at the Adult Activity Center in Gulf Shores. The first 30 minutes (5:30 to 6:00) is an opportunity to mingle and enjoy refreshments with LLPS members, officers, guest speakers, and the general public. Christie Watford-Shannon, city of Gulf Shores Museum Administrator, will share with us a portrait and some details of the families who settled along the north shore of Little Lagoon during the 19th century. "By 1900 there were 39 families living along the western Fort Morgan Peninsula. Their survival depended upon fishing the Lagoon. These families have remained vigilant in maintaining the ecological and social balance of the area. They utilized the area to maintain large families constituting a larger Bon Secour community and Mobile Bay community. Supplementing their farming lifestyle with fishing, timber, and salt mining, the community along the north side of Little Lagoon was able to ultimately grow into the small town tourist community of the present day, while maintaining the most important aspect of community, family, and friendship."
Other topics to be discussed following our guest speaker include:
1) Little Lagoon Pass-Vince Calametti of ALDOT and Mark Acreman of the City of Gulf Shores will give us an update on the dredging of the pass and the redesign/construction of the pass and the bridge.
2) GAPC-Nomination status report.
3) Natural Resources Damage Assessment (NRDA)- Review of several LLPS proposed projects.
4) Southern Environmental Law Center: Review of recent meeting with LLPS officers.
5) Website Update: Review of progress on interactive data map for website.
6) Treasurer Report
The general public is invited to attend this event and encouraged to join our non-profit society. Please visit us at www.littlelagoon.org.
Little Lagoon Preservation Society News
- ***LLPS Members Meeting, April 20th, 530PM***
- LLPS Members Meeting, Jan 19th, 530PM
- LLPS Members Meeting, Oct 20th, 530PM
- Coastal Cleanup This Sat., Sept. 17th at Mo's Landing
- LLPS Members Meeting, July 21st, 530PM
- LLPS Members Meeting Thurs. Jan 28, 5:30PM
- Bon Secour Oyster Bay Watershed Plan
- Update on Lagoon Pass Dredging
- LLPS Quarterly Membership Meeting, Thursday July 16
- AMN Workshop- Alabama's Spiders, Insects & Bugs, May 7
- AMN Workshop-Alabama's Wetlands and Freshwater, April 23
- AWW Water and Bacteria Monitoring Workshop, May 2, Elberta
- Coastal Monitoring Coalition Training, Sat @ GS Activity Center
- Restore Act Public Meeting, Thur. Feb 12, Activity Center, GS
- LLPS Quarterly Membership Meeting Thurs Jan 22
- Former LLPS President Randy Wingard Passes
- Alabama Water Watch Volunteer Monitoring Workshops, Sept 26, 27
- Alabama Coastal Cleanup @Mo's Landing Sept 20th
- LLPS Quarterly Membership Meeting Resheduled for Aug
- Master Naturalist Program-May 8 @DISL,"Alabama's Coastal Waters"
- LLPS Board Member Renick Marsh Passes, Jan 31, 2014
- LLPS Quarterly Membership Meeting Thursday, Jan 16th
- LLPS Quarterly Membership Meeting, Thurs, Oct 17th
- 26th Annual Alabama Coastal Cleanup
- LLPS Quarterly Membership Meeting Thurs., July 18th
- LLPS Quarterly Membership Meeting, Thurs., April 18
- LLPS Founding Father James Radcliff Maumenee Passes Feb 4, 2013
- Please Report Oil and Tarballs Found on our Beaches
- "The South in Focus"- Fairhope and Daphne film screenings
- LLPS Quarterly Membership Meeting, Thurs. Jan 17
- Pitcher plant rescue project Weeks Bay
- LLPS Quarterly Membership Meeting, Thurs. Oct 18th
- LLPS Quarterly Membership Meeting, Thursday, July 19th
- LLPS Quarterly Membership Meeting, Thursday, April 19, 2012
- EDS Middle School Geology Class Presentation
- Manatee Sighting Network 5th year Anniversary Gala
- Ocean Camp Spring Break Beach Retreat
- Plants of Coastal Alabama by Chan West
- Coastal Fieldtrip Program in G.Shores, Community Based Science Tour
- LLPS Quarterly Membership Meeting, Thurs., Jan. 19
- Sea Turtle Release Monday, October 24th!
- Free Sea Oats
- LLPS Quarterly Membership Meeting-Tues., July 19, 2011
- Social Media Workshop by AU and MBNEP
- Alabama Water Watch Coastal Visit, May 16 & May 17
- LLPS April 19, 2011 Members Meeting Press Release
- Ken Salazar, Interior Sectretary visits Bon Secour.
- Press Register July 21, 2010
- Press Register July 14, 2010.