Little Lagoon Preservation Society News
Coastal Fieldtrip Program in G.Shores, Community Based Science Tour
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
January 24, 2012
P.O. Box 6166
Gulf Shores AL 36547
1054 West Beach Blvd.
Gulf Shores AL 36542
Coastal Fieldtrip Program in Gulf Shores, AL
Opens With a Community-Based Science Tour
Gulf Shores, Alabama--Gulf Shores Beach Retreat and Ocean Camp, a certified marine/environmental education program hosted 29 Middle/High School students from Calvary Christian School in Orange Beach for a two-week fieldtrip program recently- ‘Water Quality in our Local Environment’. The Beach Retreat is ideally located on West Beach Blvd. in Gulf Shores positioned within walking distance of the natural diversity at the Gulf of Mexico and Little Lagoon, a brackish body of water on the island.
Student curriculum was guided by Alabama COS Objectives in Aqua/Environmental Sciences. The program opened with a focus on diversity, recreation, and economics of our water resources, then students participated in a mock trial, presided by Foley attorney, Tanya Hallford, as they became plaintiffs against a fictitious developer of ‘Six Flags over Alabama’ moving to the area. A community-based tour during the week included water testing at the Little Lagoon Preservation Society field lab, led by Dennis Hatfield; AL Marine Resources Marine Biologist, Karon Aplin, informed students about coastal issues plus facilitated fish dissections. Gulf Shores Utilities employees, Albert & Buck, explained how clean water reaches our homes and businesses while the students toured local water pumping stations. Interns from Birmingham Southern College, Laura Clontz & Laura Oliveros, enhanced the program.
The program utilized technology, group discussions, onsite field work, hands-on investigations, field professionals, journaling, exploration and seine net observations; making water filters; sand sculpting, and sharing of their own water conservation projects.
For information/list of program courses & scheduling:
Contact Belinda Ringpfeil, Director at [email protected]& www.facebook.com/oceancamp
Retreat Photos are available on http://www.gulfshoresbeachretreat.com/
Little Lagoon Preservation Society News
- ***LLPS Members Meeting, April 20th, 530PM***
- LLPS Members Meeting, Jan 19th, 530PM
- LLPS Members Meeting, Oct 20th, 530PM
- Coastal Cleanup This Sat., Sept. 17th at Mo's Landing
- LLPS Members Meeting, July 21st, 530PM
- LLPS Members Meeting Thurs. Jan 28, 5:30PM
- Bon Secour Oyster Bay Watershed Plan
- Update on Lagoon Pass Dredging
- LLPS Quarterly Membership Meeting, Thursday July 16
- AMN Workshop- Alabama's Spiders, Insects & Bugs, May 7
- AMN Workshop-Alabama's Wetlands and Freshwater, April 23
- AWW Water and Bacteria Monitoring Workshop, May 2, Elberta
- Coastal Monitoring Coalition Training, Sat @ GS Activity Center
- Restore Act Public Meeting, Thur. Feb 12, Activity Center, GS
- LLPS Quarterly Membership Meeting Thurs Jan 22
- Former LLPS President Randy Wingard Passes
- Alabama Water Watch Volunteer Monitoring Workshops, Sept 26, 27
- Alabama Coastal Cleanup @Mo's Landing Sept 20th
- LLPS Quarterly Membership Meeting Resheduled for Aug
- Master Naturalist Program-May 8 @DISL,"Alabama's Coastal Waters"
- LLPS Board Member Renick Marsh Passes, Jan 31, 2014
- LLPS Quarterly Membership Meeting Thursday, Jan 16th
- LLPS Quarterly Membership Meeting, Thurs, Oct 17th
- 26th Annual Alabama Coastal Cleanup
- LLPS Quarterly Membership Meeting Thurs., July 18th
- LLPS Quarterly Membership Meeting, Thurs., April 18
- LLPS Founding Father James Radcliff Maumenee Passes Feb 4, 2013
- Please Report Oil and Tarballs Found on our Beaches
- "The South in Focus"- Fairhope and Daphne film screenings
- LLPS Quarterly Membership Meeting, Thurs. Jan 17
- Pitcher plant rescue project Weeks Bay
- LLPS Quarterly Membership Meeting, Thurs. Oct 18th
- LLPS Quarterly Membership Meeting, Thursday, July 19th
- LLPS Quarterly Membership Meeting, Thursday, April 19, 2012
- EDS Middle School Geology Class Presentation
- Manatee Sighting Network 5th year Anniversary Gala
- Ocean Camp Spring Break Beach Retreat
- Plants of Coastal Alabama by Chan West
- Coastal Fieldtrip Program in G.Shores, Community Based Science Tour
- LLPS Quarterly Membership Meeting, Thurs., Jan. 19
- Sea Turtle Release Monday, October 24th!
- Free Sea Oats
- LLPS Quarterly Membership Meeting-Tues., July 19, 2011
- Social Media Workshop by AU and MBNEP
- Alabama Water Watch Coastal Visit, May 16 & May 17
- LLPS April 19, 2011 Members Meeting Press Release
- Ken Salazar, Interior Sectretary visits Bon Secour.
- Press Register July 21, 2010
- Press Register July 14, 2010.